Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Are there really Bad Connections with the iPhone?

In response to Bad Connection: Inside the iPhone Network Meltdown posted on Wired Magazine, I offer the following comment:

• Posted by: snow53 07/20/10 10:09 pm

One item that continuously gets overlooked and underappreciated is the wifi network that AT&T has put in place. They have, hands down, the largest number of wifi hotspots in the country. This means that at many hotels, starbucks and mcdonalds all over the country, you can use your iPhone or iPad on a better performing network than anybody’s 3G or even 4G network and at no additional cost beyond your AT&T data plan. Verizon and Sprint have nothing comparable.

I live in the nation’s capitol and love my iPhone and am delighted with AT&T’s service. When we experienced a huge power blackout. I fired up my laptop and conducted a web presentation using my AT&T card and my iPhone. As rated by speedtest.net, my download speed was > 5mb/s. Astonishing! I was able to deliver my presentation to my client without missing a beat or experiencing a dropped call.

One final thought, it would be interesting to put a Samsung Captivate on AT&T up against a Droid X on Verizon and see how they perform side by side. Then we might have more of an (non)-apples to (non)-apples comparison.

#att_emp

No comments: